Print-Based Distance Education
Along with Online Education, BCS@Home also offers distance education options in print-based form for families with students in elementary school. Print-Based Distance Education gives students in grades 1-6 the opportunity to have the flexibility of schooling at home, while still getting the external teaching and guidance from BCS@Home teachers. BCS@Home provides all of the curriculum and materials for the core courses and options, and BCS@Home teachers deliver recorded lessons to students to help guide them through the materials provided. Students also receive one-on-one instruction from their teachers once a week, to help ensure students are staying on track with the classwork and are engaged with the teacher.
While BCS@Home teachers are primarily responsible for course development and instructional delivery, parents act in the tutorial role to help their children as they work through the print-based materials. If students are interested in only some print-based courses instead of the full course load, they can choose the Shared Responsibility option for a blend of Traditional Home Education and Print-Based Distance Education courses.
- No funding is available, no tuition is required
- BCS@Home teachers are responsible for program planning, instruction and assessment, and parents act in a tutor-type role from home, guiding their elementary student through the materials as needed
- Teacher–Student interaction will be print-based, online, face-to-face, or a combination, and students will know how and when to access their teachers
- Learning outcomes, instruction and assessment will follow the Alberta Program of Studies
- BCS@Home provides all curricular resources required for print based courses – There are few out-of-pocket expenses outside of household consumables.
- All students in all programs have access to field trips, special events and community classes. All students in all programs have the opportunity to join the extra-curricular programs of BCS such as sports, fine arts and clubs, as well as attending chapel services (fees may apply to certain events and activities)